Vehicle Tracking / Road Pricing

Anything goes in here.....
Titanium S1 111S (gla)

Vehicle Tracking / Road Pricing

Post by Titanium S1 111S (gla) » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:26 pm

“We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Scrap the planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policyâ€
Graham

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:44 pm

/flamesuit on/

From a very personal perspective i dont think its a bad idea. I dont use my car during peak times and would happily pay a bit more if the roads i use are quieter when i use them. In reality though im sure this is just another money grabbing scheme set up by the government which probably wont work! I however dont like the tracking aspect ie speeds etc, all too Big Brother! :evil:

All IMHO! :)

/off/
Last edited by ed on Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:55 pm

this could work out well, but... it needs a sensible and not greedy pricing policy. We all know what will happen they will be greedy and use some nonsense statisstics to prove that they are not. :protest

YOYOY not just scrap road tax altogether and bump up the tax on petrol? More miles or greedyer car=more tax. Small car or few miles=little tax. Or am I missing the point.... :roll:
1994 Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress
1980 Porsche 924 Turbo - Funky Interior Spec
2004 Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

GregR

Post by GregR » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:56 pm

ed wrote:/flamesuit on/

From a very personal perspective i think dont think its a bad idea.

/off/
:lol: covering all bases there Eddy-poos
Ferrari 458
Porsche 993 C2
Disco V

simon
Site Admin

Post by simon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:59 pm

RICHARDHUMBLE wrote:this could work out well, but... it needs a sensible and not greedy pricing policy. We all know what will happen they will be greedy and use some nonsense statisstics to prove that they are not. :protest
They will tell us it's to encourage us to use public transport. Meanwhile, they will increase the costs of public transport as trains/buses are overcrowded and can't cope with current numbers.

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:11 pm

GregR wrote:
ed wrote:/flamesuit on/

From a very personal perspective i think dont think its a bad idea.

/off/
:lol: covering all bases there Eddy-poos
:lol: DOH! edited! :wink:
Octopus Energy Referral Code (£50 each!) share.octopus.energy/light-lynx-588

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:24 pm

Simon's on the ball here.

Great story from a colleague, who lives near Leuchars and commutes periodically to our offices in Edin and Glasgow...

Used to get the train to Glasgow, using SuperSaver ticket around peak times. This ticket was recently scrapped.

Colleague "Why has the SuperSaver ticket been withdrawn for peak travel?"
Guard "To encourage people to use off-peak services and spread the load"
Colleague "But what about commuters like me who have no choice but to use peak services?"
Guard "<shrugs>"

The same journey is now going to cost him £36 return (not sure what it was before, probably 20-odd).

Net effect? He now gets in his CAR and drives to a park and ride either at Ferrytoll, Fife, or Ingliston near Edin airport. Half the price (about 100 mile round trip, diesel engine, say a tenner's worth of fuel).

Also, for our own commute from Linlithgow to Edin or Glasgow, we generally use the train. But they are busier and busier, and less and less reliable, so we are now looking seriously at the car again. The bus can't get us home in time to collect Eilidh from nursery either, so that's out. Oh, and if we DID want to continue with the train, it's becoming harder and harder to park near Linlithgow station, yet the "Town Service" on the bus doesn't start early enough to get you along to the station to catch a train getting you to work for 9am.

What the f*ck is going on. Joined up thinking? You must be kidding.

jj

Post by jj » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:35 pm

http://www.transportdirect.info/Transpo ... cheparam=6

Always good for a laugh. To get into work I would have to leave at 634 am.

Think I`ll stick to getting in for 9 leaving at 830 thanks.

Titanium S1 111S (gla)

Post by Titanium S1 111S (gla) » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:42 pm

this could work out well, but... it needs a sensible and not greedy pricing policy. We all know what will happen they will be greedy and use some nonsense statisstics to prove that they are not.

YOYOY not just scrap road tax altogether and bump up the tax on petrol? More miles or greedyer car=more tax. Small car or few miles=little tax. Or am I missing the point....
Agreed but I for one don't trust them. They should be promoting use / development of clean cars and upgrading road networks in a sensible manner to cope with extra traffic. I for one can't think of anything more stupid or annoying than sitting in traffic jams belching out exhaust fumes and going no where. They should be pushing freight off the road as far as possible and making public transport less expensive and unpleasant to use. Our rail network is a disgrace, it may have been the pride of Victorian Britain but I don't think we should be preserving it as a monument to Victorian Britain.

Electric cars are probably the future, Tesla is showing the way forward (I would swap :wink: ) and others are bound to follow. High-bred electric can fill the gap until the boffins develop better battery or fuel sell technology but there need to be incentives.

People like cars and no government will change that.
------------
You can have my gun (keys) when you prise them from my cold dead figures.
(John Wayne)
Graham

simon
Site Admin

Post by simon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:00 pm

campbell wrote:Also, for our own commute from Linlithgow to Edin or Glasgow, we generally use the train. But they are busier and busier, and less and less reliable, so we are now looking seriously at the car again. The bus can't get us home in time to collect Eilidh from nursery either, so that's out. Oh, and if we DID want to continue with the train, it's becoming harder and harder to park near Linlithgow station, yet the "Town Service" on the bus doesn't start early enough to get you along to the station to catch a train getting you to work for 9am.

What the f*ck is going on. Joined up thinking? You must be kidding.
Same thing happened with me. Used to get the train until the prices went up and it became as expensive as taking the car would have been. The final decision was that we moved office and the only way to get to the new place would be by train followed by a walk to a bus stop, 20 minutes on the bus to go 3 miles then a short walk to the office. Alternatively, get in my car, sit in a bit off traffic listening to the radio in comfort and get to the office dry and on time. It's a no brainer for me.

robin
Jedi Master

Post by robin » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Electric or hybrid cars with or without fuel cells will not fix the basic problem of too many people travelling too many pointless journeys. Until the UK realises that most employees don't actually need to go to work in order to work and most kids can probably get to school without being driven there, we're just wasting our time - we may as well let personal preference and market forces dictate who uses what form of transport and when - it has the advantage of being efficient and any money invested (or wasted) is private money.

Cheers,
Robin
I is in your loomz nibblin ur wirez
#bemoretut

campbell

Post by campbell » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:26 pm

Yep, on a positive note, I have spent less time in an office over 2006 than ever before, yet have had a very (if not more) productive year. In fairness, LogicaCMG has gradually come around to the advantages (and necessary controls / framework) required for successful remote working / telecommuting / whatever you care to call it. We now have a flexible and accessible infrastructure which lets a greater proportion of our staff work from wherever it suits best. The company has also gradually pushed its way out of expensive real estate in London, is consolidating the portfolio overall, and actively supporting health & safety assessment of home working locations (including provision of all equipment from desk/chair upwards, if required).

Though I realise not all jobs are suited to flexible/remote working, and learning the new rules of "remote community" or "distributed team" comes at different paces for different people...if at all!

So I think one of the reasons I'm getting more and more p'd off with commuting is that the less I do it, the more appalled I am when I am reminded of how crappy it is!

Oh, and the coffee from my kitchen is well better than the free tar dispensed at the office...

Campbell

r055

Post by r055 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:34 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6251377.stm

seems like public opinion doesnt matter... :roll:
Calypso Red S1 111s

Scottd

Post by Scottd » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:37 pm

It's the 'tracking' bit I object to!
S1 50th Ann.

campbell

Post by campbell » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:40 pm

I particularly liked this bit :
Beeb article wrote:He was responding to a study chaired by the former BA chief executive, Sir Rod Eddington, which said charging could benefit the economy by £28bn a year.
Benefit? BENEFIT? At whose bl**dy cost? Unless the cash is flowing in from abroad, or some other government funding supplier we are not aware of, that 28 billion is coming out of your average punter's pocket.

I'll be outside Downing Street with a placquard if this keeps up much longer!!!

:chainsaw