Web site designer.

Anything goes in here.....
tut
Barefoot Ninja

Web site designer.

Post by tut » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:58 am

Some of you may know that I started up a Community group ten years ago with two friends, its purpose being to put computers in five local villages at suitable locations, with free access for the locals. Also to give instruction in using them, and the various office software packages.

We were successful over the next few years in winning three small Lottery grants of £5,000 a time, along with some other larger awards from Scottish Enterprise. It proved very popular and went from strength to strength, so much so that I was able to ease up, and take on a salaried Project Manager. I actually mentioned it on S_E and a couple of you were interested, but Old Deer is just too far out of the way.

The Council gave us the use of two rooms in the Registrars office in Maud, the next village, and we have been there ever since. However the original plan has now run its course, most people have computers at home, so we have passed on to a new organisation, BITES, still in the same office, but with a full time Project Manager and a Training Manager.

I have always been responsible for hardware and software, and never got involved in the web design of the site, so even though we are now winding down BCW (Buchan Community Web) I would like the site to keep running as it provides information for Central Buchan, both residents and new comers to the area, but though I have a new volunteer to redesign and update the site in Dreamweaver, he is not a professional, and can only go so far.

If anybody on here is willing to have a look at it, and implement his new ideas, then that would be a great help. I cannot pay full commercial rates, but do have funds available if anybody took it on.

The site is at http://www.buchanweb.org , and if anybody is interested, mail me off line and I will give them a broad outline of the changes that we would like to implement.

Cheers

tut

ps guess who helped design the new BCW logo, and where he got his ideas from.

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:52 pm

Coveney on NorLOG runs a website business, always plugging his services (As it were!) on NorLOG, his personal site is here might be worth asking him if he can help?
1994 Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress
1980 Porsche 924 Turbo - Funky Interior Spec
2004 Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Further to this, just copying across a post that I just sent on S_E1.

tut

Robin

Somewhat envy you running in the Caveman era with Linux and OS10<BG>

I am tied into M/S, even more so now. Not sure if it is an Xmas present, but just heard that that our BCW/BITES application for a major Lottery Grant has been successful, and we have just been awarded £290,000.

On top of that Microsoft has given us £5,000 to buy hardware, but also upto 50 licences per application on their whole range of software with no restrictions. Lord knows what that is worth. Even though I now have a full time Project Manager, IT/Training Instructor, and Admin Manager, secure in their salaries now for the next five years, it does not look as if I will be able to bow out gently. Their knowledge is still not upto ordering and setting up the 14-20 desktops, notebooks, server, and wireless comms that we will be installing into our new premises in the converted old Maud Mart cattle auction complex.

I did post on S_E asking if anybody was interested in updating and reworking our website, but there were no takers, so I have had to employ a professional web site designer.

Been at it for eleven years now, great to see how successful it has become, but time to hand over the reigns and take a back seat.

tut

Last time I checked, that didn't run on any operating system I would care to use ;-)

Robin

r055

Post by r055 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:37 pm

congratulations tut - thats good going! 8)

sit back, put your feet up and admire you're 'other' little empire! :lol:
Calypso Red S1 111s

k12chu

Post by k12chu » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:03 am

tut, have u found somebody to take over the web design?

Rag_It

Post by Rag_It » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:57 pm

Meant to say this at the time Tut, try http://www.stormwebsitedesign.com/

They are based in Aberdeen, and owned and run by James Montgomerie, who used to be at KH a lot and had a black CTR and setup Type R Scotland in the very early days.

Fantastic guy, and having just setup last year, I am sure he would apreciate the business and also help you out!

Cheers,

Dave :wink:

tut
Barefoot Ninja

Post by tut » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:55 pm

Krishnan,

Looks as if we are going to use Dome in Peterhead.

tut